Wednesday 10 July 2013

Ibanez TS5 Tube Screamer


Hehee! Couldn't help myself. It is in reality a TS9 :) If you want it 1:1, then use TA75558 and 2SC1815 transistors (mind the pinout!). You could of course build it with JRC4558D and check the output resistors to make it 808.. I still thought we needed at least one more Soundtank to our library.

The same basic circuitry as the famed TS9 Tube Screamer in a more economical format (the TS9 has a more expensive housing and its handwiring makes it more labor intensive to build than the TS5). Most people can't hear the difference between the our affordable Soundtank Tubescreamer and the more expensive originals. Are you one of the few who can?-why not find out for yourself.



11 comments:

  1. Hey dude, I built this but there's no distortion going on, looking at the schem isn't there meant to be a 4.7k resistor in series with a 47nf cap going from the 51k resistor to +4.5v? Sorry if I'm on the wrong track but I got up at 4:20am yesterday so staring at schematics probably isn't the best idea, come to think about it neither is using a soldering iron, it's a wonder I haven't burnt the house down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn. Sorry. You're right. Don't know how i managed that... Fix is on the way. Sadly i can't export the projects from where i am, so the fix will be out tonight.
      +m

      Delete
    2. ...aaand fixed. I needed to jig it around a bit. Thanks to Rudeez for helping me on export.
      +m

      Delete
    3. Well what'd you know, sounds like a Tube Screamer! Cheers Miro, Jimmie, there was no chance my brain was going to function for long enough to rearrange a vero last night, fortunately now it's packed full of sleepy goodness I can have a dig around to see if I can get a little more out of it. The stock settings seem a little more brittle than a standard screamer.

      Delete
  2. swap that 47n for 270n and that 4K7 for 2K7. i'm calling that "fya arrow" mod. :)
    +m

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers dude, I have a little confession to make, I'd swapped the 4k7 to a 3k3 anyway hoping that it'd give it a little more kick but hadn't upped the cap, probably why it turned out a little brittle. I'll give your suggested values a go and report back.

      Delete
    2. 3K3 might be the cause, since it'll up the gain a bit, but keeps the frequency response the same. Up the cap and you should be golden.
      +m

      Delete
    3. Settled on a 2k2 with a 330n cap in the end , nice bass and more grit, just what it needed. Thanks for the help.

      Delete
  3. oh. and thanks man!
    i'll tag it once i'm back at my laptop.
    +m

    ReplyDelete
  4. Had that mod Miro mentioned in my TS9. It really made it come alive.
    I kinda dislike stock Tubescreamers, but it sounded really good. More gain, less mid-hump.

    ReplyDelete